Sunday, April 3, 2011

What's wrong with our peppers?

We planted a 72 spot tray with peppers but only half have sprouted after a month of waiting!
Pepper starts
It's very strange. All of one type of pepper sprouted, but every pod of another type pepper didn't sprout.
Peppers
Any thoughts? The ones that didn't sprout in the photo above from right to left: first two empty rows are California red from a packet of seeds. Next two empty rows, Jalapeno from saved seed. The next empty row and half are Pasilla pepper from saved seed. Not sure why they never sprouted.

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Danni said...

So....I have no idea.
But I do know that none of my peppers (or celery) would sprout until I started using a heating mat below the potting tray.
They just needed a little extra boost, you know?

Eric said...

Hello
I subscribe to you on google reader and have a question. One of our year old layer hens has a "bent" neck and cant walk strait. I cant see any wound or missing feathers. it just is bent over. What can I do for her?

Mike said...

Hey Eric. That's a really good question. Was this all if a sudden? Just saw her one day walking like this? It doesn't sound like anything I have heard. Maybe a neck sprain or it could be neurological since much of a mammals balance is directly related to the brain. Where I work, people often come in with balance issues. It is usually related to a mass or tumor within the brain or sometimes a bleed in the brain can cause issues as well. I would check on backyard chickens.com they have a forum there that you can search, it's very helpful. If you can figure anything out you may need to speak to an agricultural veterinarian. Best of luck. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for ou. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Eric said...

Thanks Mike,
It was all of a sudden. One day she was top of the pecking order then she has a bent neck. ill check that site you told me about.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Hi there... it seems that the seed is not viable. Did you wait until the fruit was ripe and you had ripe seeds? Or was it so ripe that the seeds sprouted inside of the fruit? Those are just two guesses.

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...