Tuesday, May 24, 2011

For dinner this week: BBQ Chicken

Kelsi and I rarely eat meat these days. So, when we do, it is a treat! Most people just figure we are vegetarians, and rightfully so. That's a safe term to describe us, vegetarian, or "vegetarianish". I cannot remember the last time we ate meat before this past Friday. Since we only eat meat that we produce ourselves, or that we buy from a responsible farmer directly, our meat consumption is rare. Very rare. We have very high expectations about the treatment and raising of animals for food. Since we cannot create change in the way meat is produced other than at our own home, it's easier to just abstain from eating the meat we do not agree with. Unfortunately, the meat that we don't agree with happens to be everywhere.
The chicken we ate on Friday was raised here, processed here, and eaten here. Doesn't get more local than that. We barbecued the chicken in a spicy Jamaican Jerk sauce that we got while on our honeymoon last summer. It was the best bbq'd chicken I have had in a long time! 
As a side, we cooked potatoes on the grill from Tolstoy Farms, purchased at the Spokane Farmer's Market.
Another side we cooked up was asparagus from Pacific Produce, also from the farmer's market.



For Saturday's dinner we had pizza with the leftover chicken from Friday nights grill.

We also used our own spinach on the pizza! Isn't that spinach awesome!
Homegrown lettuce for the salad. Beautiful!
I love how local we can eat once the weather warms up!

Are you cooking what your growing yet?

Thanks for reading!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so yummy and healthy. Beautiful spinach!!! I like your goat shirt. Tell the Mrs. I said Hello and hope all is well. I really enjoy reading your blog.

Mr. H. said...

Looks to me like you eat like kings and queens over there...everything looks so good.:) We rarely eat meat too and people often mistake us for full fledged vegetarians, we prefer to call ourselves "healthy opportunists" instead, meaning we eat meat on the rare occasion that it suits us...usually wild game or fish that comes our way via my wife's son who loves to hunt.

K-Koira said...

Wow, that looks amazing. Now I have to go find something around here for me to eat.

Lindsey said...

That all looks so yummy

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...