Sunday, February 19, 2012

Grow Station Progress.

Day 4. No growth.
Day 6. First onion sprouts.
Day 10. Onions

Peppers





Day 18

Our usual performers are doing well. California Orange
Mirasol Pepper


The peppers seem to have started off a little faster this year, maybe due to the seed warming mat. They are about the size that our peppers were last year at one month, instead of 18days. There are still a lot of empty pods that have had no germination. 
The temperature module is working pretty well at keeping the soil right around 80degrees. It has a harder time when the room is cool, but it still works well enough. 

We planted the onion trays with different patterns to see what works best for us. The tray above was seeded by sprinkling the seeds on the soil surface
The one shown here was a bit more purposeful in rows. 

Pretty good start so far to our seedling endeavors. 

Thanks for reading

4 comments:

Mr. H. said...

Looking good, sounds like that seed warming mat is working out well for you. I'm normally a purposeful row kind of guy when it comes to onions but this year I went with the scatter method and am pleased with the results.

Mike said...

I like the scatter method pretty well but I guess I won't really know until we transplant them. That will be the true test.

K-Koira said...

Sounds like the warming mat is working good.

I've always been a fan of the seed scatter method for pretty much everything. Mostly though I think I just don't have the patience to put things in rows...

I'm currently sprouting rainbow chard, basil, broccoli, and peppers in my indoor window boxes. Hoping the weather is good enough to transplant them outside when the time comes!

Mike said...

I am really starting to like the seed mat too! It is amazing how good the peppers look already

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...