Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Injured Chicken Update.

The hen that was injured yesterday is doing fair today. I got her to drink about 1/4 cup of water. I also removed the scabs covering both of her eyes. I washed the exterior of both and when I opened her eye lids, both eyes contained a large amount of pus and debris. I cleaned them out as best I could with all of the swelling. It looks like her left eye will be ok. The eye lid is open slightly and will help the infection get out. Her right eye is still too swollen for the lid to open and stay open. Ill have to check it and clear out the infection until she can open it again. Poor thing.

3 comments:

Danni said...

Are you giving her any antibiotics? Vitamin water? These things might help to speed recovery and stop the infection going on...
Thinking good thoughts..for you guys and for her!

John Going Gently said...

I was told by a farmer to mix your hens at night after penning the animals NEXT to each other for a few days

mind you when they get a cob on with eah other thats it!

Mike said...

Farm girl: We have done antibiotics in the past, but we aren't this time. I always get scared that it will contaminate the chickens and then pass it on to us, or even some of our customers. I will have to look up vitamin water too!

John Gray: We did mix them in at night, which usually has worked well for us. We have these two roosters that are pretty aggressive and I believe it was them

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...