Thursday, March 11, 2010

Meating the Meaters


I am off today and I decided to finished watching a movie called 'Food, Inc'. I started it a few weeks ago and had to stop part way for some reason. Watching poor animals get mistreated in the slaughter houses really upsets me and I hadnt finished the movie. So, today I finished it and I am now more passionate than ever about raising our own meat, but also more nervous than ever for the day when we actually begin processing it.


I like to think I was beginning to get used to the idea of being able to humanly kill another living thing and was even thinking I would be able to help Mike when the time comes. Im not sure about it right now. I have discovered that I am really struggling. It is the right thing to do if we are going to continue eating meat, thats for sure. But do I really have thick enough skin for this? Im no so sure. I wish this would be easier.


But my emotions aside, everyone should watch this film. If nothing, to just be aware about the things you are eating. It doesnt just discuss the treatment of animals, but the treatment of workers and farmers in the food industry, as well as, how it effects our environment. It is worth seeing.
“There is this deliberate veil, this curtain that’s drawn between us and where our food is coming from. The industry doesn’t want you to know the truth about what you’re eating because if you knew, you might not want to eat it.” -Quote from Food, Inc

3 comments:

Mike said...

Well writen. I think you'll be alright when the time comes

Kelsi said...

I think i will cry the entire day.

Nels said...

It was a very nerve racking day for me the first time. My suggestion is to make sure you have some new chickens ready to raise soon after. That way it is almost like they old chickens never left. Good Luck!

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...