Saturday, February 26, 2011

New Additions to the Flock

Here at the Halpern Homestead we pride ourselves on having a very diverse flock. We try to have just one or two of a certain type of chicken, except the Delawares which just kinda happened. So, we have a great variety of types and colors of chickens here. Although we can and will hatch our own chicks, today we got a few different types of chicken that we don't already have in order to preserve or diversity.



This lil fella is "Bob", Bob is a White Crested Black Polish


This is "Louisa". She is a Rhode Island Red, a replacement for one lost to a coyote or a hawk this past summer posted here.


This is a "Rufus". Rufus is a Black Cochin, we have a blue cochin now named Fancy the $204 Chicken, who is just the best!


This is Denise, she is a replacement for a hen that also passed away this summer to an unknown cause.


This is Myrtle, another replacement to a hen lost this past summer to a dog.


This lil fella is "Allie". A white silkie whom we hope will befriend Mere the Mighty, our black silkie.



Baby chicks are my favorite. Such an exciting little creature that can bring happiness to anyone. 


Thanks for reading! 

We love the comments, so keep them coming!


6 comments:

Mr. H. said...

They are adorable and I can't wait to see how they look when they are older.

ginger said...

They are so different looking! Thanks for posting your pictures!

chook said...

i love how the chicks are showing their breed at such a young age.

Anonymous said...

Hunter and I love looking at the different baby chicks! Patty

Danni said...

Haaaa! You got a White Crested Black Polish! My Dottie has caused me more grief AND given me more joy than you can possibly imagine! :-)
She's currently on her 6+month egg-laying sabbatical, but when she gets off that, I'll be delighting in her small, absolutely perfect white eggs again. lol

Mike said...

Mr H- thanks! I love baby chicks! They are so much fun!

Ginger- Thanks for the comment! I tried to follow your profile to your page, but it doesn't look like you have one. We appreciate your visit though. Thanks!

Chook- It is pretty amazing.

Patty-Thanks for the visit. Im glad you guys enjoyed the photos

Farmgirl- I remember reading about Dottie and her antics. I carefully thought of this while holding the little cutie in my hand. It was a tough choice! I think your dottie is cool, I hope mine in crazy too

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...