Friday, April 30, 2010

A change in my life.


Mike and I moved to the country last May. We both grew up in very urban areas and neither of us really had much exposure to anything country. I rode horses as a kid, but that ended quickly when my parents realized how allergic I am. However, I do remember that during the time my lessons were, I had such a great time. The gal that taught us (my sister and myself) to ride, owned so many animals and I have fond memories of petting the goats and getting to feed the cows.


I was raised on the water. I always thought I would need to be near the water when I got older.. boy, was I wrong. Moving to the place we are now has been one of the best things that has happened during our time together.  We have each found that we have a passion for anything country. It is truly remarkable.


I think that one of the biggest things that I have come to realize is how truly remarkable nature is. The dirt, the air, the birds, the animals. How could I have lived this long and not understood how incredible this place is? I have become fascinated and amazed at growth. Over the last year, I have watched our chickens grow from tiny little fuzz balls to something to beautiful and affectionate. Before our move, I never gave eating chicken a second thought. I always thought that chickens were dumb.. but raising them.. loving them.. has given me a different view on everything. After we processed the chickens, I literally cried on two separate occasions, because of the distinct compassion and love that I feel for the animals. I cherish them and have such respect for them and how they give up their lives so that I can continue living.  It has become such a special relationship. One that I wish I could have experienced prior to this year.

I remember the first day we got chickens. We adopted Rhonda and 4 chicks. When We let Rhonda into the coop, she walked around exploring and the second I sat down, she jumped up onto my shoulders. I knew that the connection was just beginning.



There was a beautiful area that was over grown with weeds and branches that we decided to convert into a garden. Neither of us had really much of a connection to gardening, but we decided to give it a try! Little did I know that it would completely change the way I think about the earth, the weather, the miracle of life. 



This spring, I have come to marvel at the growth that comes from such a small seed. I am in awe that such a small thing can produce the things that keep us alive and keep us healthy. As korney as it sounds, I am almost moved to tears when I see the progress that these living, breathing things make during such a short time. What a wonderful recipe.

Sunlight + water + love = An abundance of life

Though we are Jewish, I have never truly been a very spiritual person. But how can one deny something bigger exists, when the proof is in your garden, in your chicken coop, in your home? Moving has changed me. In more ways than I ever thought possible.

On a bit of a sadder note, upon entering the coop this morning, I found one of the my babies lying dead on the floor. Her name was Penelope. She was never aggressive with other chickens and she was always up for a little pet. Her call sounded like popeye and Mike and I could always tell who was calling, even if we were no where near the chickens.  She was such a good girl and I have spent all day thinking about her.




This life that we lead has taught me so much. It has not only taught me so much about growth and life, but also about death and the sadness that comes with it. It has taught me to cherish all living things no matter how small and insignificant it may seem. The best thing? I am so happy. I live a life that I wish others could experience. I have a wonderful man that loves and cares for me. I have two amazing dogs that add so much laughter to my life, and I have a little flock and garden that give me so much to be thankful for. 

8 comments:

Mike said...

That was very well written babe. I will miss Penolope very much.

John Going Gently said...

I lived in sheffield (the city sistered with Pittsburgh in the US)

the change of pace to life in the country is amazing

taylorgirl6 said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of Penelope. It always amazes me how quickly we get attached to little critters like that. When one of ours leaves us, we dedicate a raised bed to them. Each bed eventually becomes the living memory of a dearly loved friend, so we see their happiness and life in the fruits and vegetables we grow there.

Kelsi said...

That is a really good idea. Penelope sure did love the garden too. Such a sweet little soul.

Callie Brady said...

Loved reading your post. I'm very glad that your allergies are not bothering you so you can enjoy farm life. I was raised on farms and hated it when we moved to San Francisco and had to live in a "cement city."
Farm life is the best!

Shelly said...

Just wait till you have kids Kelsi...you think chickens change your life, brace yourself :)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you that you took the plunge and moved to the country. It truly is a spiritual awakening.

I am sorry for your loss of Penolope.

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

I LOVE that picture of you and Rhonda - LOVE IT!

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...