Thursday, April 29, 2010

Oh No! We've Got Worms!

The good kind...

Kelsi and I found a pretty good deal at a local store on worms so we decided that we were going to start a worm bin. We bought a half pound for under 20 bucks at Best Buy Surplus in Spokane, which is pretty good in this area, we have encountered a lot of folks who charge an arm and a leg for anything "green related". We also bought 2-10 gallon bins at the local "Made in China" store for 4 dollars a piece. 

The bottom bin will catch the worm tea that drains from the top bin. Once the top bin is full of worm castings, we can motivate the worms to move from the upper bin to the lower by loading the bottom full of new bedding and fresh food. Then we can harvest the top bin which will contain virtually worm free castings.
This is the bedding that we used. It is mostly composed of an out of date phone book torn into 1in strips. There are also some shredded paper balls from my paper shredder.
This is just after I added the worms to there new home.
They look pretty happy don't they?


Also on an unrelated note Juliette got a hair cut today. She looks so pretty!

Oh. Kelsi looks pretty too!

Thanks for reading. If anybody out there uses worms for composting and has some useful advice for us new comers feel free to share! Thanks

2 comments:

Just an Average American Mom said...

Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I too made a vermicompost bin like yours. I made it about a month ago. I bought my worms at the "Made in China" store in the camping dept. All was going well and then I decided to use some of the sawdust pellets that had been in the biddie brooder. They are pellets that turn to sawdust. The bag says it is all natural. The pellets had turned to sawdust and I had read in a magazine that a earthworm farmer uses sawdust as one of the components on his farm for worms. Well, all my worms died after adding this material. I have moved the material to the compost bin and starting over with my vermicomposting. Keep us posted how yours is going. I am really excited about the using earthworm tea as fertilizer.

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...