Sunday, April 4, 2010

We finally built our greenhouse!

This week my dad and I finally had some free time off together so we decided to tackle the greenhouse. The weather was supposed to be fair most of the week, but not great. In fact, it was less than great. We worked in the snow, rain, and hail. It was so darn cold! Lucky we finished before the wind advisory went into affect.
This is the pile of lumber we had to buy, it looks kinda small but there is a lot there
The side walls are complete.

We are calculating the angles of our two pitch roof. I still don't know how to do it. It's a good thing Larry was there to help.
The roof section nearly complete. It was snowing at this time.
We made the house in sections so that when we move to our forever home we can take it with us. That will be a wonderful day!
This is what we got done on our first day before Kelsi and I went to our class. We secured it to the ground with some old fence boards so it wouldn't fall over in the middle of the night.

Building a greenhouse during a snow storm. Irony? Lots and lots of snow!


This is the finished product!
8 feet wide.
16 feet long

8 feet tall! We are going to cover it this week when I get off of my work rotation. If anyone has advice about does and don'ts of covering it or ventilation we would love some input!

Thanks for reading!


5 comments:

John Going Gently said...

what a great design......
wish I could buy one here like that one

Danni said...

Oh my GOSH - I have total greenhouse envy. What an incredible structure you've built. I'm impressed. What kind of crops are you planning to grow in it?
Oh, and when you're finished building yours, will you come and build mine?? LOL

Nels said...

That is a mighty fine lookin' structure you got there!

How much did it cost for all the lumber?

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Where on Earth did you find those plans? The house is beautiful and spacious..I wish it were mine :o) totally envious.

Mike said...

Thanks! We love it too! We actually modeled after one we saw at a local home improvement store called Ziggy's. We just measured the heck out of it, made something closely resembling the original.

Garage Workbench.

Recently with our move to the new house I  had the opportunity to make a work bench in the garage to consolidate my tools that were in box...